Saturday 22 March 2014

North Idaho Centennial Trail

I recently discovered the NICT while heading east along I-90, crossing the WA/ID state line. For about a mile at that point, the trail is clearly visible running along the eastbound lanes of the interstate. I wasn't planing on stopping at Post Falls until I saw the trail, but since there are two truck stops right at exit 2, I had no excuse to not nvestigate further. 

 I found a mostly paved and dedicated cycling/walking trail that stretches about 23 miles from the state line, joining trails in Washington State, to Higgens Point @ Lake Couer D'Alene. Equally spectacular to the quality of this path and the scenery along it, is the ease of accessibility for truck drivers. 

If you were to walk or ride directly south from the Love's, crossing under the overpass, the trail is on your right between the gas station and the fence at the off ramp for exit 2. This portion of the trail will take you toward Washongton where you can stay to the left and end up at Liberty Lake or go right and head into the Spokane Valley. 

Trailhead at Liberty Lake, looking NE

On a second trip through the area, I headed east, once finding the trail between the Sleep Inn and some shops, kitty corner from the westbound portion of the trail. I rode this portion about 8 miles all the way to the POE/ Rest Area where it continues toward Lake Couer D'Alene. It's possible to park the truck at the rest area and pick up the trail running along the back of it. 

Trail marker at the rest area. 

Along the Spokane River looking SE. 

At this point I'd burned enough daylight and needed to hammer out a few miles in the truck. 





No comments:

Post a Comment